Metal Drawing Applications
Metal drawing is an industrial process used to form sheet metal into shapes such as cylinders and boxes. Metal drawing works by forcing sheet metal through a die. A punch or set of punches forces the sheet metal into the die cavity, creating a recess. Deep draw metal stamping is a form of metal drawing that gets its name from the finished recess, which is deeper than the diameter of the part.
Metal drawn products are lightweight and require no additional welding or assembly to manufacture. The metal drawing process is fast and largely automated, allowing manufacturers to produce custom components at a high rate of speed. The versatility of deep draw stamping makes custom applications almost unlimited.
Applications for Metal Drawing
Our capabilities allow us to create a wide variety of components in custom shapes and styles, such as:
- Hollow cases and covers or lids
- Boxes and squared containers
- Unique custom shapes
We work with a wide array of materials, including stainless steel, aluminum, copper, brass, titanium, and various types of nickel. We also work with blended metals such as Monel, Hastelloy, Kovar, and Inconel.
We manufacture round, square, rectangular, and asymmetrical shapes between ⅛-inch to 12 inches in diameter, as well as 12-inch lengths. We work with metals ranging from 0.002-0.187 inches in thickness, and our manufacturing process can accommodate both flat and corrugated diaphragms. We are capable of manufacturing deep drawn parts within tolerances of +/- 0.002 inches.
Hudson Technologies fabricates components used in a variety of demanding industries. Here are some examples of our capabilities for medical, electronic, and aerospace industries:
- Implantable medical device components. Hudson manufactures medical device components made from steel and titanium. Through our quality assurance process, we ensure hygienic implantable components that perform with the utmost efficiency. Some of the most frequent implantable medical components we produce include housings for cardio, neuro, and cochlear implants.
- Semiconductor wafers. Semiconductor wafers are an essential component in electronics and computer technology. The industry experts at Hudson Technologies manufacture critical components used in the production of silicon semiconductor wafers.
- Metal pressure transducer diaphragms. One of Hudson Technologies’ unique specialties includes manufacturing metal diaphragms for use with pressure transducers. These thin, flexible components are used to register changes in pressure or movement, activating electric signals within equipment.
- Battery enclosures. Our battery enclosures are designed to keep power sources safe and protected from liquids and chemicals. We regularly produce battery enclosures for use in implantable medical devices, aerospace and defense, electronic components, and oil and gas equipment.
- Cases and housings. We provide durable housings for a variety of instrumentation and equipment, including aerospace and defense machinery, equipment, aircraft, and weaponry.
Our Deep Drawn Stamping Capabilities, Machinery, and Services
Hudson Technologies is highly experienced in all facets of the metal drawing process. We can handle deep drawing in volumes ranging from a single prototype up to five million pieces or more. We employ both line presses and progressive die and transfer presses in our manufacturing process.
Our equipment portfolio includes a wide range of metal drawing equipment, including:
- Hydraulic press
- Double action mechanical
- OBI (Open Back Inclined)
- Transfer deep drawing
We also offer a full complement of finishing services:
- Aqueous degassing
- Heat treatments
- Modifications such as piercing and machining
- Painting and coating
- PEM insertions
- Resistance spot welding
Deep Drawn Stamping from Hudson Technologies
Metal drawing is a cost-effective manufacturing process used across a wide spectrum of industries. Hudson Technologies specializes in stamping medical components, semiconductor wafers, metal diaphragms, and much more. To learn more about our capabilities, please contact us or request a quote today.